Seminar on cross – curricular integration for increased student competence
In order to share experiences in guiding and organizing cross - curricular integration; draw practical lessons so as to improve teaching and learning quality; meet current essentially and completely innovative requirements as well as warmly celebrate the 34th anniversary of Vietnamese Teacher’s Day on November 20th, 2016, Department of Education and Training combined with Education Labour Union to hold a seminar on “cross - curricular integration for increased student competence”
Attending the seminar, there were the leaders of Department of Education and Training, those of Education Labor Union, those of Secondary Education Bureau and delegates from leaderships of other bureaus of Department of Education and Training, experts in various subjects, leaders in charge of teaching mission and chairpersons of Labour Unions from secondary schools.
Speaking at the seminar, Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Son – the Deputy Director generalized about results after carrying out cross - curricular integration for two years and participating in the competition in cross - curricular integration organized by Ministry of Education and Training; he also emphasized the significance and importance of cross - curricular integration at the psent stage.
There were a lot of ideas and discussions about the advantages and disadvantages as well as experiences of deploying cross - curricular integration at schools, selecting contents, determining time limit, forms, teaching methods and teachers assigned by technical groups.
After exchanging ideas and discussions, the seminar agreed on the following matters:
1. Cross- curricular integration is an indispensable trend, corresponding to the policy on essential and completed innovation in education according to the spirit of the 29th Resolution at the 8th Conference of Central Committee, term XI on November 4th, 2013, which helps to improve the quality of education and training.
2. cross - curricular integration which helps develop students’ quality and competence is an educational objective (regarding the purpose and significance of teaching), an educational content (regarding norms and criteria gained by learners), and also an educational method (regarding the way of implementation)
3. cross - curricular integration is quite a new matter; therefore, in the process of deployment, there will definitely be certain difficulties. However, due to its effect and significance, managers and teachers have to make efforts to overcome difficulties to carry out cross - curricular integration effectively.
4. Educational units have to give more advisory ideas to leaders, focus on propagandizing, campaigning social forces, especially students’ parents for the purpose, significance and effect of cross - curricular integration to develop learners’ competence.
5. Managing staff of secondary schools and bureaus of education and training have to:
+ Grasp the policy on innovation in education and training thoroughly, including cross - curricular integration and understand that this is one of the core contents, corresponding to current trends.
+ Strengthen the guidance and management of innovating technical activities in the way of researching lessons, guide technical groups to spend suitable amounts of time on exchanging ideas and discussions so as to make up topics for cross - curricular integration, to increase class observation, model teaching, making suggestions, drawing experiences from cross - curricular integration.
+ Guide technical groups to check and make teaching plans according to the spirit of assigning self-control rights to technical groups annually.
6. There must be a close and frequent co-ordination between schools and Labour Union in guiding, encouraging, deploying the innovation in methodology, teaching organization forms, assessment, especially cross - curricular integration to develop students’ competence.
After the seminar, worries in guiding, deploying cross - curricular integration at schools were clarified and once more, cross - curricular integration is determined to be an indispensable trend, corresponding to the policy on essential and completed innovation in education according to the spirit of the 29th Resolution at the 8th Conference of Central Committee, term XI on November 4th, 2013. We believe that managing staff and teachers will continue to research, deploy cross - curricular integration effectively, and ppare necessary conditions to meet essentially and completely innovative requirements in the coming time.
By Nguyen Van Cuong, Secondary Education Bureau.
Celebration of the 27th anniversary of the founding of Vietnamese people's army (December 22nd,1944 – December 22nd,2016) and the 27th anniversary of national defence day (December 22nd,1989 – December 22nd, 2016)